Tuesday, October 27, 2009

An Anniversary for Remembering

Today is the anniversary of one of the most painful, sorrowful, and heartbreaking events of my life. It is not an anniversary to be celebrated but an anniversary for remembering the single most important person in my life, the one who when he went away left a void that can never be filled, an ache that will never go away, a sadness that even in my happy moments is hidden away in my heart, ready to make itself known again. Sometimes that sadness creeps up on me when I least expect it but there are other times when I know in an instant - when I hear the first few words to a song or I come across a picture or a card I had saved or when I close my eyes to go to sleep at night.

One year ago today my Martin passed away. One year and twenty three days after he was diagnosed with ALS he slipped away, surrounded by those who loved him. He fought the good fight, he handled his disease with grace and courage and with his wonderful sense of humor. I am comforted only by the thought that he is no longer suffering and that someday I will see him and we will never have to be separated again.

Today I remember Martin, my husband, who gave me the happiest times of my life and who loved me like no other.

2 comments:

  1. Victoria, i'm sorry for your loss. did Martin have a favorite saying? sometimes there are nuggets of wisdom and gold we can pass onto other because we knew and loved (and continue to love) great people!

    i'm off to discover more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky, I had no idea you did blogspot. It is nice to know. I cam across your post and my heart goes out to you on this. I agree with you... you will see him again! Many blessings to you! Vallerie

    ReplyDelete